Keep Life Simple
‘Life is simple but we insist on making it complicated.’ - Confucius
Why do we insist on complicating life? The problem is as the years go by my life seems to be becoming more and more complicated. I often find myself thinking that my life was never this complicated when I was younger. Why is this? When I was younger I saw life through my young simple eyes. Life was easy then. I had no worries about anything I simply took life for what it was. What’s changed? The thing is, as I’ve got older I have created unnecessary complexity from something that was once so simple. Most nights I find myself worrying, overthinking, and stressing over the smallest things. What’s the point? It’s not going to get me anywhere. How do I get my life back to being simple? Surely age and growing up should not have complicated my life this much.
Ways to make life simple again:
1. To begin with, identify what is important to you. For me these are my health, my happiness, good relationships and my ambition. Once you have prioritised everything that is important to you, eliminate everything that is not.
2. Just do YOU. Stop worrying about what others are doing and how they live their lives. Life becomes a lot more peaceful when you shut off from the outside world and simply focus on yourself.
3. Don’t expect too much. Expect nothing to avoid disappointment. Sometimes you can big something up so much in your mind that when it comes to it happening in reality it is never as good as the expectation. Expect the worst, the best, and at the same time, nothing at all!
4. Let go of the things you can’t change. Start to concentrate on the things you can. There is no point worrying over the things that can’t be changed. Worrying is not going to get you anywhere and it’s certainly not going to help you to progress forward.
5. Realise that in life there is a purpose for everyone you meet. Sometimes people will help you or test you. Most importantly some will bring out the very best in you. These are the people you want in your circle. Adjust your life accordingly. Spend time with those who make you happy and forget about those who don’t.
6. Stop worrying and complaining so much. Start to focus on what you can control. Worrying and complaining changes nothing and are a waste of energy.
7. Make mistakes, learn from them and move on. We all make mistakes but these mistakes are all part of life. We must learn from them and simply move on.
8. Learn to let go of what wasn’t meant to be. I believe that everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason may not always be clear at that moment but with time it will become clearer. I believe that if something doesn’t work out the way we planned it to it is simply because we are being redirected down a better path.
9. Think simple. Forget about your negative thoughts. Most of them are completely useless. Replace any negative thoughts with positive ones.
10. Slow down. We make life so fast paced and busy and from this it is easy to overlook the things that we appreciate. We don’t need to be in such a mad rush all the time. Make sure you take time to do the things that make you happy.
Life is simple… Let’s keep it that way.