21 Lessons I've Learned Before Turning 21
On June 19th I will turn 21. By the end of next week I would have completed my degree and this summer I will be graduating. This is an exciting time in my life as I turn the page to begin a new chapter. I’ve been living away from home (London) for three years now in Manchester. University has been far from anything than I could have ever imagined. University has been the defining factor that has made me into the person I am today. I’ve been put in challenging situations and I’ve learnt the best ways to overcome these obstacles. I have learnt so much already and I plan to take these important lessons with me into the future. Below are 21 lessons I’ve learned before turning 21:
1. WORK HARD. Set your mind to something and there is no doubt that you can accomplish it. Set yourself goals and work on them everyday in order to achieve them.
2. DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY. Life is far too short to be anything but happy. If you are not happy do something about it.
3. THINGS ALWAYS GET BETTER WITH TIME. Not everything is going to go as you planned and that’s okay. Be patient. Good things are coming your way. Anything worth having is worth waiting for.
4. DISTANCE YOURSELF FROM NEGATIVITY. Negativity will bring you down. It will lead to negative situations. Nothing good comes from negative energy.
5. YOU CAN COUNT YOUR REAL FRIENDS ON ONE HAND. Be yourself and the right people will love you. Keep positive people around you. As we get older, our circle may decrease in size but it will increase in value.
6. WORK ON YOURSELF. Concentrate on your journey and what lies ahead for you. Work hard every day to get closer to where you want to be.
7. ENJOY THE PROCESS. It’s important to be excited about the future but live in the present. Life is happening now. Take life day by day.
8. BE GRATEFUL FOR EVERYTHING. There are so many wonderful reasons to be grateful.
9. YOUR HEALTH IS YOUR MOST IMPORTANT ASSET. Look after yourself and your body. Drinking plenty of water is key to staying and feeling healthy.
10. CHANGE IS GOOD. Change can be daunting at first but change is an opportunity for growth.
11. TRUE POWER COMES FROM WITHIN. Inner strength can be hard to find but once it is found it can be truly powerful. Everyone possesses an inner strength and it is just a matter of finding it within ourselves when we most need it.
12. WORRYING CHANGES NOTHING. Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn’t change anything.
13. LIFE IS 10% WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU AND 90% HOW YOU REACT. Our attitude in life is everything. How we choose to respond to a situation can determine the direction that we move forward in.
14. BE CAREFUL WHO YOU TRUST. Words once spoken cannot be taken back. Know your circle and be sure that everyone supports you and is on your side before speaking your opinion.
15. NO EXPECTATIONS = NO DISAPPOINTMENTS. Expect nothing and you will never feel let down.
16. ALWAYS DO WHAT IS RIGHT. Only you know what the right thing is. It may not always be the easy option. Follow your heart as it will guide you most of the way. You’ll know that you’ve done the right thing when you feel a weight lifted off your shoulders.
17. EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON. Our experiences in life are intended to shape us into the best possible version of ourselves. Trust the journey and its timing.
18. LEARN TO LET GO. When you are no longer interested in looking back you’re doing something right. Learn to let go of the past and move forward.
19. BE KIND. Create a good karma. What goes around comes around. Give out good energy and it will come back to you in the best way possible.
20. KEEP YOUR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT. Live a life you love. Prioritise what is important to you.
21. NEVER STOP LEARNING. There is so much more to learn and each new day brings with it new challenges and new lessons to be learned.