How To Have A Better Night Sleep
Sleep is essential for our health and wellbeing. We need sleep to refresh the brain and to rest the body. Adults should be aiming for 7-8 hours of sleep a night. A lack of sleep can affect how we function in the day.
Ways to have a better night sleep:
1. Read. Reading is a great way to relax before bed. At the moment I am obsessing over Pinterest so I love reading some inspiration and suggestions before I go to bed. This is also a great way to get me thinking about something new. I am the queen of overthinking things (just like most girls) so occupying my mind on something new is a fantastic way to forget about any worries.
2. Take a hot shower/ bath before bed.
3. Eat an earlier dinner. Going to bed on a full stomach can make lying down uncomfortable. I like to eat my main meal at lunchtime and then have a lighter meal in the evening.
4. Try a natural remedy. I love rescue remedy and I literally live by this stuff. I take two drops before I go to bed to help for a great nights sleep!
5. Soothe with smell. I spray a lavender pillow spray on my bed before I go to bed, which helps me to relax. I have grown up using this stuff. I strongly associate the smell of lavender with my family as most of us use it! When I'm at university using my lavender pillow spray gives me some home comfort.
6. Turn off gadgets 30 minutes before sleep.
7. Get into a routine. Setting aside time to wind down in the evening as part of your evening routine can help for a better nights sleep. Try to get into a pre bedtime ritual. Mine is to first have a hot shower and to get into something cosy/ put my dressing gown on (my dressing gown is literally one of my favourite items of clothing haha!) I then like to make myself a hot camomile tea. Some nights I like to write down my thoughts/ blog and I find this to be a nice way to help me reflect on my day. I then like to spray my pillow with lavender spray and to take my rescue remedy. Once all of that has been completed I like to lie in bed and choose what I am going to dream. I'm not sure if this works but it’s a great way to end the day. I like to think about all the things I would like to happen or the things that I am happy about in my life so that they will appear in my dreams.